Tis the season to be out.
If and when you go on your break this summer…
And before you switch on your ‘Out of Office’, have a read through my favourite automatic replies for some inspiration!
1) I’m currently out at a job interview and will reply to you if I fail to get the position.
2) Hi. I’m thinking about what you’ve just sent me. Please wait by your PC for my response.
3) I’m out of the office from dd/mm to dd/mm and will not be checking email. It’s likely your note will be swallowed in a sea of inbox banality, never to be seen again. If you require a response, please re-send your email after dd/mm.
4) On leave. Hoping to win the lottery and never to return.
5) I’m away from the office right now. Unfortunately, I will be back tomorrow.
6) I’m currently out of the office on leave.
I know I’m supposed to say that I’ll have limited access to email and won’t be able to respond until I return – but that’s not true. My blackberry will be with me and I can respond if I need to. And I recognize that I’ll probably need to interrupt my holiday from time to time to deal with something urgent.
That said, I promised my wife that I’m going to try to disconnect, get away and enjoy our break as much as possible. So, I’m going to experiment with something new. I’m going to leave the decision in your hands:
If your email truly is urgent and you need a response while I’m on leave, please resend it to email@example.com and I’ll try to respond to it promptly.
If you think someone else might be able to help you, feel free to email my assistant, (firstname.lastname@example.org) and she’ll try to point you in the right direction. Otherwise, I’ll respond when I return…
7) I’m currently out of the office. I have a mobile, but I will not be giving the number out. If you can guess the number, however, I will take your call.
8) I’m on leave from dd/mm to dd/mm. I’ll allow each sender one email. If you send me multiple emails, I’ll randomly delete your emails until it is pared down to one. Choose carefully. Please note that you’ve already sent me one email!
9) Thank you for your email. Your credit card has been charged £3.99 for the first ten words and £1.99 for each additional word in your message.
10) The email server is unable to verify your server connection. Your message has not been delivered. Please restart your computer and try sending again.
11) I’m not in the office right now but if it’s important, tweet me using #YOUAREINTERRUPTINGMYHOLIDAY.
12) You’re receiving this automatic reply because I’m out of the office. If I was in, chances are you wouldn’t have received anything at all.
13) I’m currently out of the office and probably out-of-my-mind drunk. Enjoy your workweek.
14) I cannot handle your emails until I return on dd/mm/yy. Please be patient and your mail will be deleted in the order it was received.